Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Dreams Made Flesh

The one super awesome thing about having jury duty is you literally can sit and read all day.  By the end of the day I was happy I didn't get called in for a panel and even though my eyes were strained from reading so much, I finished my book.  I started reading Dreams Made Flesh last week on my nook and during the lunch hour.  I really like the world Anne Bishop has created but have no clue how I am going to tell you about it!  Let me begin by saying that Anne started with the Black Jewels Trilogy: Daughter of the Blood, Heir to the Shadows, and Queen of the Darkness.  It seems like after the "trilogy", Anne decided to keep writing.  Dreams Made Flesh would technically be book five.  What I liked about this book is it contains four short stories, stories that happen before, during, or after the original trilogy books.  It helped to fill in some of the gaps between the original trilogy. 

There are way too many characters and places to truly explain what is going on.  Everyone in this world is born with a birthright jewel.  These jewels allow people to do a certain extent of magic.  The lightest colored jewels have the least amount of power while the darkest jewels have the most power.  When they come of age, they make an offering to the Darkness, much like a prayer/meditation time.  After making this offering, they walk away with a different colored jewel.  Throughout their lives, they can pull power from this offered jewel as well as their birthright jewel.  The extent of their capabilities is way to intricate to try and write about.  When I first started reading Daughter of the Blood I was so confused and almost stopped reading the book.  But I kept with it and grew to love the series and the characters.  My next read will be book six in this series, Tangled Webs.

No comments:

Post a Comment