Thursday, May 17, 2012

Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter

Where to begin with this book?  My friend read it and loved it, I saw the trailer for the movie and thought it looked awesome, so I decided to read the book.  With a book like this it is hard to write a summary of what it is about, most of us already know the content because it has so much history in the story.  I have to honestly say I was expecting something different.  It took a good third of the book because we are even introduced to the first vampire.  The book is broken out into three sections: Boy, Vampire Hunter, and President.  The first section, Boy, has a lot about Abe's life as a young child.  His experiences with his dad and the death of his mom and the introduction of a stepmother and step-siblings.  The book focuses on journals that were found and written by Abe.  So a lot of the book has "excerpts" from the journals.  Of course the first section of the book goes into extensive detail on how he accumulated his first journal.  To be honest, by the time I got to the end of the first section I put the book down and read two other books before picking it back up again.  The book does pick up some once you meet the first vampire.  But even that is more talk and less action.  I was expecting a book in sequential order with lots of vampire fights.  The book hardly describes any vampire hunts.  It's supposed to be about Abe Lincoln as a vampire hunter yet the book focuses more on his life as a boy and his journey to presidency.  The second section, Vampire Hunter, was a quicker read than the first section but still not enough vampire fighting for my liking.  The third section, President, has hardly any vampires and was a bit of a slower read than the second section.  Although the section leading up to Lincoln's assassination was an interesting part. Overall I did like the book, but I wouldn't say I loved it.  But even after reading it I am still excited for the movie.  I think the movie will have more vampire action than the book ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment