Monday, May 21, 2012

Divergent

I think for you to understand how I felt about this book, I have to tell you the process experienced reading it.  I started it on a Thursday, finished it Saturday, and was so in love with it I automatically went online and bought the second book.  I read it on my nook which was great because I bought the second book and started reading it on my phone right away (I don't have internet at home so no way to connect to WiFi and download the book on my nook). 

While reading this book, the movie City of Ember kept popping into my head (okay I know that movie is based off of a book but I never read the book so I am going off of the movie).  In this book, all 16 year old teens go through a series of testing to determine which faction they should spend the rest of their lives in.  Then at the choosing ceremony they choose where they want to be.  There are a total of five factions: Dauntless, the brave/fearless; Abnegation, the selfless; Candor, the truthful; Erudite, seekers of knowledge; and Amity, the peaceful.  Beatrice is a 16 year old in Abnegation.  She loves her family but has never truly felt like she belongs.  She goes through her aptitude tests only to find out her results are inconclusive, she is Divergent.  She has aptitude for more than one faction.  Her test administrator warns her to never let anyone know the truth.  Then choosing day comes, Beatrice can choose to stay in Abnegation with her family, or choose a new faction.  She decides on Dauntless.  The Dauntless put their initiates through a week long training period.  Only the top ten ranked initiates become members.  Beatrice must stay on top of the ranks, not let anyone know she is Divergent, and try to push her family out of her mind.  So much for one girl to handle.

This book was such a quick read for me.  I didn't want to put it down and thank goodness for nook apps because I was even sitting a Chevrolet waiting for an oil change and pulled my phone out so I could read.  I read there is talk about turning this into a movie.  There is actually a lot of action so I think it would be a really good movie.  I'm about six chapters into the second book, Insurgent, and can't wait to keep reading it.

No comments:

Post a Comment