Monday, September 24, 2012

A Dance with Dragons

I did it!  I finally finished reading A Dance with Dragons!  There for a while I was worried I would put it down and never pick it up again.  I was reading on my hour long lunch break and that was it.  I would go home and the last thing on my mind was reading.  And then something happened.  I hit the halfway point of the book and then, bam!  I was done in no time.  As I have said before, this is not going to be a play-by-play of what happens in the book.  It's the fifth book in the series and I can't do that without giving away way too much information.  This and all my other blog entries are more about my experiences reading the book.

What Martin did was separate the characters' stories between books four and five.  The first half of book five is the other half of the characters that were not in book four.  What made it difficult to get through was the fact that the first half of this book is parallel to book four.  For example, in book four there is a chapter that focuses on Sam learning he must leave the wall and go to Old Town to become a maester.  This exact same chapter is in book five but this time from Jon's point of view.  All the talking points are the exact same but you just get to see things from different angles.  It gave me too much of a I've already read this feeling.  It made me more hesitant to keep reading because I already knew what was going to happen thanks to book four.  But one thing I loved about this book was I finally got to read from some of my favorite character's point of views.  I missed them in book four.  Of course that didn't start happening until after I hit the halfway mark.  Maybe that's why the second half of the book went so quickly?

Another thing I noticed about the book was a different type of ending.  Usually at the end of the book if a character is attacked you know before the book ends if that character is still alive or they died.  In the fourth book it started with one of the characters I liked.  Something happened and I had no clue if this person was alive or dead.  Then all of a sudden they showed up in the fifth book and I got my answer.  In the fifth book a chapter ends with my favorite character getting stabbed.  This is one of my top three favorite characters and all I have to say is they better be alive come next book!

No comments:

Post a Comment