Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Mystic City

As I have said before, I have a super awesome book worm friend who lets me borrow books.  She just so happened to attend Comic Con this year (jealous!) and received an Advanced Readers Copy of Mystic City.  And of course since she is super awesome she passed it my way for me to read ;)  I absolutely loved it and really hope Theo Lawrence is planning to write more.  Especially since the book ended in a way that could continue on in a series.

This was a futuristic book that takes place in Manhattan.  There are two levels of habitation: the Depths and the Aeries.  When I read about the Aeries I think Hollywood glam, where all the flashy rich people are.  The Depths = poverty.  But it's so much more than that.  The Depths are also were mystics are forced to live, register, and be drained.  The way the book reads, mystics have always been around but this futuristic story has them finally out in the open and living amongst non-mystics.  Think witch meets X-Men.  Each mystic has a special power.  For example, one mystic can walk through walls (and pretty much anything solid).  Of course that mystic just happens to be the male lead Hunter ;)  When I was reading this book I thought a lot about Mistborn.  And this is also a lot like Romeo and Juliet.  It was a very quick read.

I guess I should give you a little bit of an idea what the book is about ;)  Aria Rose comes from a wealthy, political family and is engaged to Thomas Foster, also from a wealthy political family.  Their parents say theirs is a Romeo and Juliet relationship.  Think of the Roses and Fosters as the Capulets and Montagues.  Only thing is, Aria has no memory of a relationship with Thomas.  According to her parents she suffered an overdose and that's why she can't remember.  But then enter cool, calm, collective Hunter and her heart goes pitter patter and she's all sorts of confused.  She basically spends the rest of the book trying to remember what she has forgotten.  And of course a lot of other stuff I can't tell you ;)  I highly recommend it though :)

No comments:

Post a Comment