Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Wicked Nights


I have to say that I love, love, LOVE Gena Showalter books!  She keeps my interest and makes me want to come back for more.  When I first read her Lord of the Underworld series, I had a hard time getting following it and the reading was slow.  Now that I know all of the characters and the story I just can't get enough.  A new book of hers comes out and I have to run to Target and buy it.  Unless they do something stupid like only offer it online like they are doing with her Alice in Zombieland book!  So upset about that!  I need to find a way to buy it.

Wicked Nights is a branch off of the Lord of the Underworld series.  In the last few books of the LotU we were introduced to a bunch of angels.  We have already read Lysander's story and learned about his love for his harpy.  Wicked Nights is all about Zacharel, an angel without feelings who has been charged with leading the angel misfits.  A group of angels who have hurt humans without a second thought.  Zacharel and his angels are dispersed to a mental asylum where demons are frantically trying to get inside.  Zacharel learns they are after a demon-marked woman who has been charged with murdering her family.  Only problem, she's innocent.  The demon her murdered her parents is the same demon who sent all the lesser demons to the asylum to try and attack the girl, Annabelle.  Zacharel "steals" Annabelle to try and figure out which demon has marked her and how he can save her from being a demon's consort.  Along the way he slowly learns how to feel again.  But will it be love or forever pain?  Queue "duh, duh, duh" music!  

As usual, Showalter knows how to make her female leads totally bad ass!  Locked away for four years in a mental institution and the majority of it spent drugged up, Annabelle is totally bad ass!  She fights and kills demons AND puts Zacharel in his place.  I love that she takes a new spin on the whole damsel in distress where the damsel is trying to save herself and the guy is just added bonus ;)  Cannot wait for the next book in this series, Koldo's story.

No comments:

Post a Comment