Monday, November 26, 2012

City of Bones

City of Bones is book one in the Mortal Instruments series.  Another book out of the Trader Joe's bag from my super awesome friend.  I have seen this book every time I walked down the book aisle at Target and always wondered how it was.  But I never picked it up.  Now I am so glad my friend had this book because I thought it was a really good book and I cannot wait to move on to book two.  I was even more excited about this series when I saw a trailer for the movie and saw some of my favorite actors are going to be in it ;) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1538403/).  Namely a Mr. Aidan Turner and Jonathan Rhys Meyers.  Can we say YUM?!  My two favorite Irishmen. 

Okay, enough drooling, now on to book talk!  With the world of vampires, werewolves, witches, etc. in full swing right now, I thought the plot and story behind this book was able to stand on its own.  The concept of Shadowhunters brings a whole new twist to the genre or paranormal bootie kicking.  As you are reading the story you think, Shadowhunters, big deal.  They are just demon hunters like Buffy is a vampire hunter.  So much more than that!  The story goes that Shadowhunters were decendents from angels and set on Earth to take care of all the bad Downworlders.  They have wicked cool fighting abilities and use runes for spells and healing.  They can even make themselves "invisible" to the human eye.  They literally can live in the shadows and take out their prey.  Then enter Clary, the heroine of our story.  And guess what?  She can see the shadowhunters!  Clary reminder me a lot of another literary character I know I have come across but I cannot put my finger on it.  Maybe a Bella in Twilight kind of girl.  Poor Clary is thrown into the shadowhunter world when her mom is kidnapped by demons.  The story was a quick read and I liked how the two main characters (Clary and Jace) really panned out.  Clary gained more confidence by the end of the story thanks to Jace, and Jace learned not to be some cocky guy who thinks he can get anything he wants ;)  Based off of how this book ends, I am really curious moving forward how the plot will unravel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment