Thursday, January 24, 2013

Beautiful Creatures

It seems like lately Hollywood is running out of ideas for movies and turning to books for inspiration.  For a book nerd like me, that is awesome.  But only if they add every single little detail from the book into the movie, which never happens.

Alas, that won't happen and I will probably leave the theater either happy with the way they tried to portray the book or upset that they left out all the good parts.

With that being said, I saw a preview for Beautiful Creatures, one of the books in my Trader Joe's bag from my friend, and knew I had to hurry up and ready it before the movie comes out next month.

When I started reading I was surprised to find that the whole book is from Ethan's point of view.  Watching the previews for the movie, it looked like everything would be from Lena's point of view.  Remember, not witches and warlocks, they are Casters ;)  I liked that distinction.  We hear so much about witches that it was nice to have a new word to go by.  Casters actually makes more sense to me.  They "cast" a spell.  And I like how each Caster has a special kind of power.  Lena is said to be a Natural.  This means she can manipulate the elements.  As evidenced by the storms that happen every time she gets upset/mad and the electricity Ethan feels when he and Lena touch.  All Casters are "claimed" on their 16th birthday and either turn Light or Dark.  A curse on Lena's family does not allow the Casters to choose which path they will take.  Lena is faced with the impending doom that hangs over her 16th birthday.  She feels she will turn dark.  Then there is Ethan.  The mortal boy who falls for her.  What I like about Ethan is he is the stereotypical popular high school boy.  But something inside of him has always made him feel like he didn't fit.  He realizes he isn't like everyone else at school and I think that is what draws him to Lena.  She is different, she represents life outside of Gatlin.  He teaches the reader that you don't have to be like everyone else.  You can stand out in a crowd, it is okay.  Plus he likes to read :)  Major star points in my book!

This was a really good young adult book and I look forward to reading the rest of the books in the series.  I will start the second one today as a just in case.  I've noticed with some series turned movies that the other books in the series can sometimes make it into the first movie.  Happened with Game of Thrones.  So I want to read the second book in this series in case the movie touches on that. 



No comments:

Post a Comment