Thursday, February 14, 2013

Alice in Zombieland

Have you ever had that one author that you loved and you had to get every book they wrote?  Gena Showalter is one of this authors.  So of course when I saw Alice in Zombieland at Target I just had to pick it up.  Perfect too because it got me through a scary-ass plane ride!  I hate flying and usually take my nook with me.  Problem with that, you have to turn it off before the plane takes off and can't turn it back on until the plane reaches a certain altitude.  I was at LAX and already had to change planes thanks to a mechanical error and was delayed thanks to the lightning hitting the runway.  The minute I got on the new plane I buried my nose in this book and did not look up until we landed.  Focusing on it made me not think about how much I hate flying or about the turbulence we went through.

With that being said, talk about an awesome story!  My zombie love hasn't really expanded past the movie Zombieland and I don't watch The Walking Dead, so I was worried a zombie book would keep me up at night (I sometimes have zombie dreams for no reason at all).  Thank goodness this book was a lot of plot and background and not so much zombies.  Since it follows the storyline of Alice in Wonderland, I kept waiting for her to fall down a hole and end up in a world overrun by zombies.  I kept waiting for Zombieland meets The White Rabbit.  It didn't happen this way but I liked the way it did play out.  For example, Alice meets a girl names Kat.  Hello!  Cheshire Cat alert!  Little things like that would happen and I would try to figure out the connection.  Sadly, at the beginning of the story, Alice does not believe in the monsters her father always warns her about (zombies).  In fact, she doesn't even find out until half way through the book that they are zombies.  Fine by me, because that means not very many descriptions of rotting flesh until that point.  A certain tragedy leaves Alice all alone and she must go through life trying to figure out if the monsters she saw are real or is she as crazy as her dad?  Eventually she finds others like her and we get the zombie 101 story.  It is really interesting how everything pans out and eventually I stopped trying to compare it to a Wonderland
 story line and enjoyed it for what it was.  Definitely looking forward to the next book in the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment