Wednesday, February 26, 2014

The Maze Runner

A lot of books lately are being turned into movies.  When that happens, I like to read the books first.  Why?  Because the book is always better!  If you read my previous posts, you know I have a friend that always lets me borrow tons of books.  This one was in the pile and I figured I better go ahead and read it before the movie comes out.  All I have to say about this is HOLY HUNGER GAMES BATMAN!   I cannot think of anything else to compare it to. 

I don't think I need to tell you what this book is about.  A little obvious from the title.  The beginning of this book was a little slow and confusing.  But now that I think back on it, I think it was a brilliant way of starting the book!  The main character is plopped in this location where the maze is and all he knows is his name is Thomas.  Okay, so that means all we know is that his name is Thomas.  Feel frustration level rising!  Then Thomas starts trying to talk to the other boys in the area and they all tell him not to ask questions, not to try figuring anything out, just make it through the day and learn.  Lots of frustration at this point.  I want answers and details!  By not knowing, however, you are able to be right there, step by step, with Thomas as he tries to figure everything out.  We, as the reader, are a part of the story.  Not an outside entity that knows all the answers.  We don't know anything about the maze or why Thomas was chosen or why he can't remember anything.  Our frustration and feelings match what Thomas is going through.  Awesome book.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you liked it! :) Looking forward to see what they do with the movie!

    ReplyDelete