Thursday, April 17, 2014

A Discovery of Witches

First off, I just could not pass up a book that was written by someone who shared a name with my most favoritest Captain ever, Captain Jack Harkness.  Anyways, I had seen "A Discovery of Witches" everywhere but had not really heard from anyone who had read it.  One day I just said the heck with it and bought it on my nook.  Fast forward a few months and I was standing in a Barnes and Noble with my best friend.  We were walking amongst the books just like kids in a candy store.  We passed A Discovery of Witches and I almost grabbed it.  I totally forgot that I already had it on my nook.  Luckily my arms were full and my gift card was used up.  It still took me over three months before I finally downloaded the book on my nook and began reading...and then I was hooked!

At first the story is a little slow.  And to be honest, I thought the main character was a male until someone referred to them as Diana.  Oops!  I read the first two or three chapters and then stopped reading it for a few weeks.  It was slow and I was worried I had made a mistake by buying this book.  But I was determined to read it.  And I am so glad I did!  After a while, I realized I didn't mind that the story was slow paced and nothing heart wrenching happened.  It was really setting up the plot for everything and I was loving it.  It helped you to really learn as much as you could about Diana Bishop and her fears of magic.  I love well-developed characters.  And then we get introduced to Matthew!  Move over Edward, there's a new vampire in town and he does not sparkle!  Matthew, in a way, is a brooding vampire just like my all time favorite vampire, Angel.  I would say the first half of the book is a getting to know Diana and Matthew section.  The second part is all about Diana trying to re-awaken her powers and trying to find out more about the mysterious manuscript that Diana finds in the beginning of the book.  I love books like this that have more than one mythological creature.  There are witches and vampires and daemons oh my!  It's a really good book and I cannot wait until I can start reading the next book in the series.  

No comments:

Post a Comment