Thursday, May 1, 2014

Unwind

I'm being a good girl and not waiting until over a week after finishing a book to post about it!  I don't even know where to begin with this book except to say WOW!  I liked this book because it is different, I've never read anything like it before.

I normally don't like to just give a synopsis of what the book is about.  You can go to Amazon or Good Reads and do that.  But I feel like I need to in order to give some backgrounds on my opinions.  In this book, there was a war against people who were Pro-Life and those that were Pro-Choice.  After fighting, they decided to come to an agreement.  All children would be born.  That satisfied the pro-life people.  But, from the age of thirteen to seventeen, a parent (or legal guardian), can choose to unwind a child.  This was for the pro-choice people.  What does it mean to unwind?  The child is sent to a harvest camp where every piece of their body is taken and they basically become a living organ donor.  The concept is that their body parts go to others in need so the child is still alive and not really dead. 

Now on to what I thought of the book.  My first impression was it reminded me of the movies Repo Men or Repo: The Genetic Opera.  But in both of those stories, the body parts are taken back if they cannot be paid for.  This book is in a way opposite of those stories.  It's more about where the body parts come from.  The book is set up to follow different characters through the chapters.  They are all kids that have been chosen to be unwound.  I just cannot see how anyone could justify doing something like that! 

As you read the book you can totally tell how the author is setting everything up to be questioned.  The characters question if being unwound is really the will of God?  Politics are questions.  It makes you think about what is and has happened in the real world and how some of these groups become so sure they are right, that you could totally see something like this happening.  I know some people that are very religious, to the point where they think you are a sinner and going to hell because you are not the same religion as them.  Or those that are so ignorant as to be against same sex marriages.  Then there's the racist groups.  Sexist groups.  It's everywhere!  So who's to say a war between pro-life and pro-choice couldn't happen?  Some pro-life people have already destroyed abortion clinics.  Would people go to extremes like in the book and mandate something like that?  If they can mandate a draft for the war, who's to say they can't mandate something like this.  It's actually really scary when you think about it.

So I have to give the author major props for causing me to think outside the realm of this book.  It's so much more than just a story.  It's one big WHAT IF!  Not to mention (SPOILER HERE) but the end of the book walks you through an unwind.  What a terrible experience!

Now I am on to the second book in this series.  I really liked the three main characters in the first book (Connor, Risa, and Lev) so am interested to see what happens and if they can stop unwinds from happening.

1 comment:

  1. The second book brings even more questions up! Glad you are finding it interesting! :)

    ReplyDelete