Thursday, October 9, 2014

School for Good and Evil

I am about to admit that I do something I should not do, I somewhat judge a book by it's cover.  I shouldn't, I know, but I do.  When looking at books and even video games, the ones with cool looking covers or titles is going to make me pick it up, flip it over, and read the information on the back.  In most cases it has worked and produced an awesome video game or book for me, and on rare occasions it has been a total flop.  I was walking through Barnes and Noble when visiting my best friend in Albuquerque and came across a display of teen books.  My eyes were instantly drawn to the cover for The School for Good and Evil.  I mean look at it!  Totally looks like something you would see in Disney!  I couldn't help it, I picked it up and started reading the synopsis: two friends stolen from their home, transported to a fairy tale world where one learns to become a princess and the other an evil witch, only to find out the princess-looking girl is sent to the School for Evil and the witch-looking girl is sent to the School for Good, totally up my alley!

Unfortunately, life got in the way and I got too busy to try and read :(  When I first started this book it was right in the middle of a busy time and I found the reading to be really slow.  I don't want to say it was difficult to get through, I was just so busy that it was not keeping my interest.  Thank goodness that all changed!  The whole story line is pretty cool.  Especially when you have the blonde that loves pink put into the school for Evil.  She was the most entertaining.  Along the way I really love what this book taught.  Beauty isn't everything.  Sometimes the most beautiful people on the outside can be the most evil people around.  It really plays up looking past how someone looks and instead look at their morals and character.  For example, Agatha (School for Good) was always trying to help Sophie (School for Evil) try and show everyone she was good and did not belong in evil.  Sophie would always try to do this by showing off her looks.  Agatha would try to get her to show off her personality and character.  But Sophie thought looks were all that mattered. 

When I finished the book I saw there is a second book in the series.  Time to go to Amazon and add to my "Books" wish list!

No comments:

Post a Comment