Friday, November 7, 2014

Cinder

I'm a huge Disney fan and love anything Disney related.  So when I saw this book and knew just from the cover that it would be a Cinderella inspired story, of course I had to read it!  Luckily, my super awesome friend had it in her book stash and brought it over for me to read.  This was such an interesting storyline; Cinderella meets Mulan meets Terminator...okay, maybe I am exaggerating a bit. 

The story is set in New Beijing and the story line of the emperor and Prince Kai just makes me think about Mulan.  Not that Cinder pretends to be a man or anything, but when Prince Kai comes to her mechanic shop asking for help, she does hide the fact that she is a cyborg.  Okay, so maybe her being cyborg isn't enough to make a comparison between this and Terminator, but I did it anyways.  I don't know, I think it's pretty cool that Cinder can pop open the calf on her cyborg leg and store things in it.  Who needs a purse when you have a calf!  But, Cinder does not join in on my excitement.  She hides who she really is (*COUGH* Mulan *COUGH*). 

Simple love story, right?  NOPE!  Cinder lives in a world where is plague is happening.  The way they describe it makes me think of the black plague.  On top of that, there are people that live on the moon (yes, a man on the moon, I give you permission to giggle) and the queen is one gnarly witch with a capital B!  She wants to take over Earth.  See, alien life and they want to take over the world.  What makes them such big bad wolves?  Mind control!  EEKK!  The Lunar queen goes on and on about how there are no revolts on Luna, BLAH BLAH BLAH!  That's because you mind control and kill those that oppose you.  So yeah, you could say Cinder is dealing with a lot at such a young age.  And before you can ask, yes there are stepsisters, yes there is a stepmother, and yes there is a ball.  Not really a fairy-godmother unless you count the doctor that is...nope, not going there.  Spoilers!  Looking forward to reading more books in this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment