Friday, February 13, 2015

The Alchemist





Boy am I running late on this!  Between Superbowl weekend, work, getting ready to move, time has just slipped away from me.  Yeah that's right, I am MOVING!  Pretty soon I will be able to walk to work.  Which means I will be able to go home every day on my lunch break.  Which means I will be able to READ EVERYDAY!  Right now I get tired of sitting in my car to eat lunch and find myself driving through some drive-thru and getting bad for me food.  That's why it took me so long to read The Alchemist.

Now on to the book!  One day, in a casual conversation with my boyfriend's mom, she asked if I had read this book.  After telling her no, I wasn't surprised to find it amongst my Christmas presents from her.  At first I was a little confused by this book and found it hard to follow.  This book is very philosophical and the writing reminded me of text I read in my Social Ethics course in college.  Luckily I eventually got into a rhythm and the book started making so much sense. You start reading and think to yourself, "okay, this is a book about a shepherd trying to change his life?"  Not at all!  I feel like along the way, I started realizing some things about myself.  I have always placed too much emphasis on other people and what they think of me.  I need to stop doing that.  This book tells us that we need to follow our own personal journey.  We get so caught up in those around us that we miss out on the signs that are there to help us follow our path.  The shepherd in the story stopped and paid attention to those signs.  More of us need to do that.  This book had some great quotes.  I would love to re-read it and underline some of those quotes.

No comments:

Post a Comment